Vadagam is a very famous seasoning in Tamilnadu, which is used in kuzhambu varieties, sambhar and kootu. My mom used to prepare this thogayal/chutney for ponguna sadam (rice cooked in open pot with extra water and served with curd) during summer nights. It is very healthy as it contains small onions, jeera,garlic, sombu, turmeric,mustard and methi but has a light bitter taste. Adding extra coconut and tamarind will reduce the bitterness but the recipe which I have mentioned is the usual way of my mom's preparation.
Vadagam is usually prepared during summer season and store it for rest of the months. Every year my vadagam box gets refilled with my mom's preparation but this year I was so lucky to get my favorite vadagam from my best friend.
Here is the recipe for simple & Healthy Thogayal....
- 1/2 Cup Vadagam
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Grated
- 4 Dry Red chillies
- Small Piece of Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed
- 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add vadagam, fry it for couple of minutes in a simmer flame.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Add dry red chillies in a same pan followed by grated coconut and tamarind.
- Fry it for a minute and Remove from the flame.
- Combine all fried ingredients and add salt.
- Grind it to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Serve with curd rice.
- Thogayal should be thick and not watery.
- To reduce bittertaste, add extra grated coconut and tamarind.
Linking this to Tamilzhar Samayal Tuesday