Spinach Aubergine Rice is a healthy and innovative combination recipe in which aubergines were cooked in a spinach paste with the addition of garam masala and mixed with cooked rice. Addition of lemon juice is to balance the taste of spinach and aubergine and also gives a yummy flavor to the rice. It is a Perfect lunch box recipe and can be served with raita and chips. Simple and healthy recipe for kids too....
- 1 Cup Rice, Cooked
- 1 1/2 Cup Chopped Spinach leaves
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 4 Green chillies
- 5-6 Aubergines / Brinjal / Kathirikai, chopped into 4 pieces lengthwise
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Channa dal
- Cook rice and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add chopped spinach leaves and 2 green chillies.
- Saute for a minute and remove from the flame.
- Cool and grind into fine paste.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the same pan and add the chopped Aubergines / Brinjals.
- Fry them for couple of minutes in a medium flame and remove. keep aside.
- Now add the remaining oil to the same pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once it starts spluttering, add channa dal followed by chopped onions.
- Meanwhile, slice the remaining green chillies and add it to the pan.
- Saute for a minute and add the lightly fried aubergines followed by spinach paste.
- Add garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook for 6-8 minutes in a medium flame or till the spinach mixture turns dry.
- Once done, add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Simmer it for couple for minutes and switch of the flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix slowly without breaking the rice.
- Serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve with Onion Raita and chips.
- Groundnuts and cashews can also be added along with mustard seeds and channa dal.
- Adjust green chillies according to the spicy level.
Sending this recipe to "100 Kids Lunch Box Recipe Book" Event !