Tangy and aromatic flavor of the curry along with a delicious taste of fish, when served with hot rice gives a joyous feeling for a FISH LOVER like me ;) This four letter word makes me drool any time and love it in any form of cuisine.
Generally Meen Kuzhambu is served with hot rice but it tastes more delicious and yummy when served with Hot steaming Idlis for the next day. The more the time, fish swims in the curry, the taste increases. Flavor of the Fish gets blend well with the curry and enhances the taste and aroma, when served it for the next day.
Sankara fish has its unique taste and flavor and personally, I feel it gives delicious taste when prepared as kuzhambu than fry. Even few Restaurants started serving "Nethi Vacha meen Kuzhambu and Idli" in their menu.
Are you a Fish Lover ?? Then get ready to Drool ;)
- 1/2 Kg Sankara Fish / Red Snapper Fish, Cleaned and Washed
- 2 Big Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 Medium sized Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
- 3 Green chillies, sliced
- 8 Garlic pods, crushed
- Orange Sized Tamarind, soaked in water
- 3 Tbsp Chilli - Coriander powder / Kuzhambu Milagai powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- Few curry leaves
- 3 Tbsp Gingelly oil
- 1 Tsp Methi seeds / Vendhayam
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- 2 Tsp Vadagam can also be used instead of Methi and Jeera
- Heat oil in a mud pan or kadai and add methi seeds followed by jeera. ( Vadagam can also be added instead of Methi and Jeera).
- Add curry leaves followed by garlic pods and green chillies.
- Saute for few seconds and add the chopped onions.
- Fry till it turns translucent and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook till the tomatoes turns soft.
- Now add chilli- coriander powder, Turmeric powder and salt.
- Extract Tamarind juice from the soaked Tamarind and add it to the Onion - Tomato Gravy.
- Add extra water and adjust salt, if necessary.
- Close and cook for 10 minutes in a medium flame.
- Now slowly add the fish one by one and close the pan.
- Cook it for 5-6 minutes in a low flame or till the fish gets cooked and remove from the flame.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve with Hot Rice.