Learning other region cuisine is always interesting and in that way, we are very lucky to have our "SNC Challenge" as our platform to learn varies North Indian recipes. Million thanks to Divya Pramil from youtoocancook.net who is brain child of this group. I have mentioned in all my post regarding the concept of this challenge but I never get tired and bored of typing this again and again..Will anyone get bored of explaining their favorite thing ?
SNC Challenge is a challenge between two teams ( South and North Team) and every month one member from North Team challenges South Team with their authentic recipes and likewise one member from south Team challenge them with south Indian Traditional recipes. I am very happy to be part of South Team and I must say that, it is a Friendly Challenge between two teams to learn Interesting recipes.
And coming to July month Challenge...
Prerana from "curryindian.com", a North Team member challenged us with her favorite and mom's recipe, a delicious and traditional recipe of Maharastra " Kadhi Gole ".Generally Kadhi is very popular in North India which is prepared with yogurt and besan. Lots of varieties available in kadhi such as Gujarati Kadhi, Punjabi Kadhi...etc.. Likewise, this kadhi is very famous in Maharastra and it is different from other kadhi by adding channa dal balls.
Kadhi Gole is a delicious curry in which channa balls are cooked in buttermilk & besan mixture and tempered with spices.This is served with Roti and Rice. Thanks to Divya Pramil and Prerana for giving us such an opportunity to learn Maharastrian traditional recipe.
- 1 Cup Channa dal, soaked over night or 5-6 hrs in water
- 3 Garlic, cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 Cups Yogurt
- 2 Cups Water
- 3 Tbsp Besan Flour / Gram Flour
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Inch Ginger, grated
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 4 Tsp Chilli powder
- 3 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain water from the soaked channa dal and keep aside.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chillies to the dal and grind it coarsely.
- Add salt, mix and keep aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl, whisk well and add the measured water to prepare buttermilk.
- Add Besan Flour and mix well to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix well and transfer it to the heavy bottomed pan.
- Place the pan in a stove and simmer the flame.
- When it starts boiling,add the grated ginger and cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Now make small balls from channa dal mixture and drop it slowly in the kadhi.
- Do not mix at this stage and drop the balls only after the kadhi starts boiling.
- Close and cook it for 15-20 minutes or till the channa balls gets cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan or kadai and add mustard seeds.
- Once, it starts spluttering, add curry leaves followed by chilli powder, coriander powder, Turmeric powder and hing.
- Switch off the flame and add it to the kadhi.
- Mix well and adjust salt,if necessary.
- Serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Roti and Rice.
Sending this recipe to SNC Challenge - July Month 2014.