Happy Pongal to all my Dear Friends!
Ven pongal is my family's most favorite breakfast recipe. Piping hot pongal with a tsp of ghee on top of it reminds me of my childhood days and chennai mylapore karpagambal mess. Roasting moong dal gives yummy aroma and it enhances the flavor of pongal.
- 1 Cup Raw Rice
- 1/2 Cup Moog Dal
- 4 - 5 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 10 - 15 Cashews
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Crushed Peppercorns
- 1 inch Ginger piece, chopped and crushed
- 5 Tbsp Ghee
- Dry roast moong dal and keep aside.
- Mix both rice and dal, wash and add the measured water and cook it for 5-6 whistles by adding salt and turmeric powder.
- Once the pressure subsides, open and mash the rice.
- Heat ghee in a small pan or kadai and add cumin seeds followed by peppercorns, cashews, crushed ginger, curry leaves and crushed pepper corns.
- Add the seasoning to the mashed rice and mix well.
- Adjust salt and add extra ghee for the flavor.
- Serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with sambhar / gosthu and coconut chutney.
Side dish for pongal from my kitchen....