Let me start with a lovely wishes to all "International Food Challenge" members for their successful event who is celebrating IFC First Anniversary. International Food Challenge is a monthly event to excel the world cuisine. I had joined this group few months back but unfortunately due to personal reason, missed out few wonderful events. I am glad to start my recipe post from this celebration month. As part of their celebration, 24 old recipes were recalled and given a chance to try and relish the menu. When it comes, non veg recipes, seafood recipes leads my list but this time tried my family member's favorite chicken recipe "Cantonese Sweet and Sour Chicken" hosted by saraswathi Tharagaram.
Though the process of this recipe looks elaborate and lengthy, this recipe is very easy to prepare and tasted very delicious. The flavor of each bite made us feel heavenly.
Recipe source : http://www.kitchensecretsandsnippets.com/2013/09/sweet-and-sour-chicken-ifc-1.html
- 1/2 Kg Chicken Boneless
- oil to deep fry
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 Small Capsicum, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces ( I have used mixture of all three capsicums yellow, red and green )
- 1 Red chilli pepper
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple chunks ( Optional)
To Marinate :
- 1 Tsp Corn flour
- 1 Tsp Custard powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- White pepper powder, to taste
To make Sauce :
- 4 tbsp Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp Chilli Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Plum sauce ( or 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup + 1 Tsp Vinegar + 1Tsp Brown sugar)
- 1 Tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Sugar
To dredge the chicken :
- 3 Tbsp All purpose flour / Maida
- 3 Tbsp Corn flour
- 2 Tbsp Rice flour
- Add all the "To Marinate" ingredients to boneless chicken and mix well.
- Marinate it for 10 minutes or before starting the cooking process.
- Mix all the "To make Sauce" ingredients in a small pan and bring it to boil by stirring well.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Mix all the ingredients given in "To dredge the chicken" in a plate.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in the above flour and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the dredged chicken pieces in a medium flame.
- Deep fry them until it is half cooked, remove from the flame and drain on a kitchen towel.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes and in the mean time fry the remaining batches.
- Now again fry the first batch (half fried ) chicken until it is cooked.
- The texture will be crisp and light golden color. Remove and keep aside.
- Repeat the process for remaining batches and keep aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in a separate pan and add onions.
- Saute for a minute and add red peppers followed by colored capsicum and cucumber.
- Saute for couple of minutes in a medium flame.
- Now add the prepared sweet and sour sauce. Mix well.
- Add the fired chicken and mix well to coat the chicken with the sauce evenly.
- Stir in pineapple and mix well. ( Optional)
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Rice or Fried rice.
Linking this recipe with mykitchenodyssey's " First Anniversary Giveaway ".