Watermelon is one of our family's favorite fruit and it is bought home every week. While removing fruit for juice, I used to clean and store the leftover rind (white part) for regular cooking. I used to prepare Kootu, Sambhar and Kara kuzhambu with this healthy part of watermelon. Yeah ! It is very healthy as it comes under water vegetables like white pumpkin, bottle gourd... Last week, Instead of regular menu, tried kheer with these rind using only 5 Ingredients for one of my favorite challenge "5 Ingredient Fix Challenge" hosted by Lakshmi Vimala from cookingclub17. Our september month challenge was sweet recipe with exact 5 Ingredients of our own as part of Onam Celebration. As we all knew that Payasam / kheer is the important sweet for Onam celebration, so for a twist used watermelon rind in payasam / kheer.
It tasted very delicious and felt excited to see my hubby's reaction after his first sip. It was very creamy and delicious. Every sip tasted yum yum with a mild flavor of watermelon. As per challenge, we have to use only 5 ingredients for our recipe so added only cashews in this kheer. Variations and Improvisation can be done by adding pista, elachi, raisins and saffron. Instead of cooking in microwave, you can add water after sauteing in ghee and cook it for 5 minutes in a simmer flame.
- 1 1/2 Cup Watermelon Rind, grated
- 1 Cup Milk, Boiled
- 1/2 Cup Condensed Milk
- 10 Cashew Nuts, broken into pieces
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- Microwave watermelon rind for 3-4 minutes and keep aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp ghee in a pan and add cooked watermelon rind.
- Saute and cook for 5 minutes in a lower flame.
- Add boiled milk and let it for boil.
- Now add milkmaid and mix well.
- Simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until it gets thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining ghee and fry cashew pieces.
- Add the fried cashews to kheer and remove from the flame. Serve.
Serving Options :
Serve hot or cold.
Since I am linking this recipe with 5 Ingredient challenge, I have used only 5 ingredients. The same recipe can also be improvised by adding extra nuts and raisins according to taste buds and creativity.
Linking this recipe with Lakshmi's "5 Ingredients Fix Challenge"
Linking this recipe with mykitchenodyssey's " First Anniversary Giveaway ".