Recipe Source : Adapted from Tasty Appetite
Chettinad cuisine is the most aromatic and spicy cuisine which is made of freshly ground masalas. The dishes are really spicy and spicy lovers like me will love this cuisine for sure. Heard that the Non vegetarian recipes are very famous in chettinad cuisines. Tried this fish curry yesterday for our dinner and this is my first try in chettinad cuisine.. Very delicious and flavorful. The aroma of freshly ground masala made us so tempting and mouthwatering. Served this curry with hot rice and Fish fry. Normally fish curry used to taste more delicious and yummy on the next day… And that to particularly with the hot steaming Idlis J So now you have guessed what we had this morning ;)
Adapted this recipe from Tasty Appetite. While searching in google, found this recipe and the mouthwatering pics in that blog, made me to try this delicious curry… Thanks Jay J
Click HERE to get the original recipe
- ½ Kg Fish pieces ( I used Vatta / Paarai )
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 6 Garlic Pods
- 5 Dry red chilli
- 1 Tsp Pepper corns
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Methi / Fenugreek seeds
- 1 Tsp Toor dal
- 1 Tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Tsp Vadagam / Methi seeds
- Handful of Curry leaves
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Tamarind, Lemon sized
- ½ Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Soak the tamarind in water for half an hour and extract the juice of it. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the red chilli, fenugreek seeds, toor dal, coriander seeds, peppercorns and jeera separately. Keep aside.
- Now add ½ Tbsp oil in a pan and add the chopped onions.
- Saute for couple of minutes and add the garlic pods followed by chopped tomato.
- Fry them together for another couple of minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Now add the dry roasted ingredients and the sauted onion- tomato mixture in a mixie and grind to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the vadagam or methi seeds followed by curry leaves and the finely chopped onions.
- Saute for a minute and add the ground paste.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the oil separates.
- Now add the tamarind extract and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Simmer the flame and add the fish pieces.
- Cook until the fish gets cooked. Once done, remove from the flame and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Plain rice or Idly or Dosa.