I have used green peas in lots of recipes but never tried this recipe using only green peas as major veggie with aromatic spices in it. Very simple recipe and tasted really delicious and creamy because of the addition of milk. And having picky eaters at home, this is really a magic dish. Served this with hot rice n ghee for my kid and he loved the taste. Have to thank my favorite chef Tarla Dalal for this healthy recipe.
Adapted From Tarla Dalal Cook book.
Here is the recipe for Creamy and aromatic Dal...
- 2 Cups Green Peas
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves, for garnishing
To Blend :
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Blend all the "To Blend" ingredients by adding 1 Tbsp water and make paste.
- Boil green peas or pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add Bay leaf followed by cooked peas.
- Add the ground paste and add salt.
- Now add milk and cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool to blend the mixture.
- Retain few cooked peas for adding into the dal.( optional )
- Cook the blended mixture for couple of minutes and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Rice or Roti.
Linking this recipe with Shruti's "Only Food For Growing Children" and Pari's "Fooddelicious"