Malai kofta is a rich cream based gravy served with fried paneer dumplings. It is a very popular North Indian side dish which is served with Indian breads like Phulka, Roti and Naan. It can also be served with plain rice, saffron rice and Jeera Rice. Have tasted these delicious and creamy side dish in Restaurants but never tried.
Luckily, got a chance to try these finger licking Mughlai dish from SNC challenge. Thanks to Nupur for sharing such a delicious rich gravy. It tasted like restaurant made and everyone in my family,enjoyed their meal and loved it so much.
Recipe Source : http://www.ukrasoi.com/2014/02/malayi-kofta-and-visit-to-taj-mahal.html
For Koftas :
- 100 gms Paneer, Grated
- 2 Potatoes, Medium size
- 1 Tbsp Milk powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 2 Tbsp Corn flour for dusting
For Gravy :
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Elachi
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Onions, medium size, finely chopped
- 2 Cup Tomato Puree
- 2 Tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 Cup Cashew paste
- 3/4 Cup Fresh cream
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam masala
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Tsp Kasuri methi / Fenugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp paneer, grated for garnishing
- 1 Tbsp Cream, for garnishing
- Handful of Coriander leaves, chopped for garnishing
For Kofta :
- Mix all the ingredients given in the ingredients list in a large bowl and mix well.
- Make 8-10 medium sized balls and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and meanwhile take 2 tbsp corn flour on a plate.
- Roll the koftas on the flour and deep fry them in batches.
- Remove, drain the excess oil using kitchen towel and keep aside.
For Gravy :
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the whole spices (cinnamon, Elachi, bay leaf and cloves) and fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry them for half a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till it gets light brown color.
- Remove from the flame, cool and grind it coarsely.
- Add the ground mixture to the pan and fry it for a minute.
- Now add the tomato puree and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add all the spice powders (Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and Garam masala powder ) and salt, mix well.
- Cook the mixture for 10 minutes in a medium flame or till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add cashew paste and water at this stage and bring it to boil.
- Simmer and cook it for another 10 minutes or till the gravy begins to thicken.
- Now gradually add the cream by stirring the gravy and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add crushed Kasuri methi leaves and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
To Assemble and Serve :
- Heat gravy for few minutes and then transfer it to serving dish.
- Arrange the koftas in gravy and top it with finely chopped coriander leaves, grated paneer and cream.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Indian breads and Rice.
Sending this recipe to SNC Challenge - February Month 2014.