We found very difficult to get the Ganesh Idol here and luckily at the last moment my hubby's friend helped us. Traveled nearly one hour to purchase the Idol for pooja to get his blessings. But few things we missed here like Arugampul, Violet flower ( not sure abt the name ) and mainly umbrella, which we get in Tamilnadu in all shapes and designs..But we are very much happy that We got his Idol atleast!
Never tried this kind of kozhukattai all these years. Happened to view this recipe in all tv shows and blogs due to festival season. But always I had a thought of trying this in a different way so added ground chickpeas to make more nutitious n flavorful and luckily it ended the same way I expected. Perfect healthy evening snack to try, when kids are back from school. Prepared this yest for Ganesh Chathurthy and very happy that my son loved it so much. He was so eager to grab these balls before the pooja :)
1 Cup Rice flour / Idiyappam Flour
1 1/4 Cup Water
Salt to taste
1 Tsp Oil ( Gingelly or Vegetable oil )
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1 Tsp Urad dal
Few Curry leaves
Pinch of Hing
1/2 Cup Black Chickpeas
2 Green chillies
1/2 Cup Coconut, Grated
- Soak black chickpeas overnight and pressure cook for 4 - 5 whistle.
- Grind cooked chickpeas, coconut and green chillies coarsely without adding water.
- Bring water to boil separately and add salt.
- Take flour in a separate bowl and slowly add the water, mix with the spoon, till you get smooth dough consistency. ( Stop adding water when the correct consistency obtained )
- Then knead it with hands by adding little oil, the dough should be warm.
- Grease the hand with oil and make small sized balls out of the dough.
- Steam them in a Idly plate for 10 minutes in a medium flame. ( Do not over steam )
- Heat oil in a pan and add the Mustard seeds, once they start spluttering, add the urad dal followed by curry leaves and hing.
- Add the ground chickpea paste, salt and mix well for couple of minutes.
- Now add the steam dumplings and mix well.
- Remove from flame and serve.
Linking this recipe with Jillu's Let's Party - Festive spl
Anu's " South Indian Cooking Event " hosted by Sangeetha's " Spicy Treats "