Red Matta Rice popular known as Kerala rice or also as Rosematta Rice is highly nutritious and has unique color and taste. All keralites must be aware of this rice. Before buying, had google'd about the values and was amazed to know that it had less calories than the regular kind..
Planning for diet ? Try to include this rice in your meal plan...While browsing, happened to read another interesting fact that this rice is considered as Royal rice during chera 'n chola period.
Tried Idly and dosa too with the same and taste was really good. Planning to try few more recipes with this to make my family more healthier :) Served this kulipaniyaram with Coconut chutney.
Try my other varieties of chutneys too...Click here.
For Batter :
1 Cup Red rice
1/4 Cup Urad dal
2 Cups Batter for Kulipaniyaram
1 Tbsp Curd
For Tempering :
1 Tbsp Oil
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp Urad dal
1 Tsp Channa Dal ( Bengal gram )
1/4 Cup Groundnut
1 Onion, Finely chopped
2 Green chillies, finely chopped
Few curry leaves and coriander leaves, Finely chopped
- Soak Rice and Urad dal for 4 hrs and grind it adding water. Add salt and allow it to ferment for 6 hours.
- Roast Groundnut and peel of the skin, keep aside.
- Take 2 Cups of batter in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once it starts spluttering, add the urad dal followed by channa dal and groundnut.
- Add the chopped onion, fry them for a minute and add chopped green chillies.
- Fry for couple of minutes in a medium flame, add chopped coriander and curry leaves.
- Remove and add to the batter.
- Add curd and mix well. Adjust salt.
- Heat Kulipaniyaram pan, pour little oil and spoon in the batter.
- Cook in a medium flame. Slowly turn the other side and cook for more couple of mins.
- Remove and serve with chutney and sambhar.