1/2 Cup Coconut, chopped
2 Green chillies, sliced
1/2 inch ginger, sliced
Small piece of Tamarind
1 Tbsp Channa Dal ( Bengal Gram )
Salt to taste
1 Tsp Oil
For Tempering :
1 Tsp Oil ( Gingelly or Vegetable oil )
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1 Tsp Urad dal
Few curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, add green chillies and ginger, saute for a minute and remove.
- Now add the bengal gram and fry them for couple of mins in a medium flame.
- Remove from flame and cool.
- Add everything ( coconut, bengal gram, chillies, ginger, tamarind and salt ) in a mixer and grind to fine paste adding little water.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, once they start spluttering, add the urad dal and curry leaves.
- Serve it with Dosa, kulipaniyaram or Idly after adding tempering.
Same chutney can be prepared with Roasted Bengal Gram ( Pottukadalai ) instead of Bengal Gram.
Garlic pods can also be included.