I am sure that Chicken Lovers will never say "No" to this Flavorful Rasam . This is completely my innovation which I tried very long back and got posted in an online magazine “Channel 6 “.
Am a big fan of “Peter Kuruvita” a well known srilankan chef and never miss his television shows. I love his style of preparing stock with fresh chillies, curry leaves etc and adding it to the curry. And that inspiration, made me to try this delicious chicken rasam. Poaching eggs in a simmering rasam will enhance the taste of rasam and eggs. This can be served with hot Rice and chicken gravy.
Try this flavorful Rasam instead of the regular ones and enjoy your meal.
- 3 Eggs
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Handful of curry leaves
- Handful of Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- ½ Cup Tamarind Juice (Extracted from a gooseberry sized tamarind)
For Chicken Stock:
- 5-6 Pieces of boned chicken
- 1 Green Chilli
- 4 Garlic pods
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumin
- ½ Tbsp Peppercorns
- 5 Garlic Pods
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- A pinch of hing
- 2 Dry red chillies
- Add boned chicken pieces along with garlic pods, curry leaves, green chilli and water in a pan.
- Simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove only the boned chicken and take the flesh part of it.
- Discard the bones and retain the remaining ingredients along with the stock.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grind the ingredients given in “For Grinding” list and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it starts spluttering, add hing followed by the dry red chillies.
- Add the coarsely ground paste and sauté well.
- Add the tamarind juice and chicken stock along with the removed flesh, garlic, curry leaves and green chilli.
- Add curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Simmer the flame, break the eggs and slowly drop them in the rasam.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes. (Do not mix or disturb the rasam )
- Once the eggs got poached, switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Serve hot with rice.