Vendakai Kara Poriyal, a very famous South Indian Side dish is served with Rice Varieties and also can be served with Indian Breads. One of my favorite veggie and I prefer this spicy dish with sambhar Rice and curd Rice. Very simple and less time consuming recipe. Spiciness can be adjusted according to taste buds and Sometimes, I do add crushed pepper at the last stage of cooking to make it more spicy and delicious.
- 125 Gms Lady's finger / Okra / Vendakai, chopped
- 1 Big Onion, Finely chopped
- 1 Big Tomato, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil and add the chopped Lady's fingers.
- Saute them for 3-4 minutes in a medium flame or till the stickiness goes off.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Add remaining oil to the same pan and add the chopped Onions.
- Fry it for couple of minutes and add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute them together for another couple of minutes and add turmeric powder followed by chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix well and add the sauteed Lady's finger.
- Add little water, cover and cook it for 5 minutes in a medium flame or till the mixture becomes dry.
- Once done, Remove from the flame and garnish with curry leaves or Coriander leaves.
Serving Options :
Serve with any Rice Varieties like Sambhar rice, Curd rice, Rasam Rice etc...
It can also be served with Chapati or Roti.
Linking this to Tamilzhar Samayal Tuesday