Cluster beans is also known as kothavaranga in Tamilnadu..This is one type of green beans with a slight bitter taste.. I have seen people not eating this because of the different taste but it has lots of nutritious value..
They are rich in fiber n protein and is available as vegetable and in powdered form ( cluster beans seeds are dried n ground into flour, known as guar gum)...Very interesting read while googling abt this veggie was that this powder is used as a thickener in many foods.. such as icecream( instead of gelatin ) n cheese, sauces n dressings... It is also very effective in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome n reduces cholesterol... Read that the powder form is very useful in weight loss n in diabetes treatment.
Above details were googled ..thought of sharing with you people...
And to the recipe...As you all know that cluster beans is used in curries n dals... I used to prepare lots of recipes using this veggie like Kothavaranga poriyal, sambhar, varuval, aviyal......
Today sharing my varuval recipe...my friend used to call this recipe as kara poriyal....
- 1 Big Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Cup Cluster beans / kothavaranga, chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Chilli - coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and fry them again for a minute.
- Now add the turmeric powder, salt and chilli - coriander powder.
- Mix well and add the chopped cluster beans.
- Add little water, mix well, close the lid and cook for 5 minutes in a medium flame or till the veggie gets cooked.
- Once done, remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with Sambhar rice, Rasam rice or Curd rice.