Few months back, tasted this yummy and spicy chutney with hot idlis in my periamma's place. The moment we tasted, got fell in love with this chutney and the most lovely thing is she made it using mortar and pestle. Nothing can beat the taste of olden days style! Later tried this chutney couple of times after coming back but nothing like hers ( handmade ). All we need is just three ingredients for this delicious chutney. Addition of small onions gives extra flavor but can be replaced with the big onions too.. But trust me, small onions gives an excellent flavor :)
- 20 Garlic pods
- 10 Small Onions
- 6 -7 Dry red chillies
- 1/2 Tbsp Oil ( Gingelly or vegetable oil )
For Tempering :
- 2 Tsp Gingelly oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and add the garlic pods, fry them for a minute and remove from the flame.
- Repeat the same procedure for the small onions and dry red chillies.
- Add everything in a mixie and grind to a smooth paste by adding salt and water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a same pan and add the mustard seeds, Once it starts spluttering, add the curry leaves.
- Now add the ground paste to the tempering and cook it for another couple of minutes in a medium flame.
- Remove and serve with Hot idlis or dosa.