Appam, a bowl shaped Pancake is a very famous Breakfast recipe in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Lots of variations are there in the preparation method and I usually follow my MIL recipe which has no yeast.The batter preparation is very similar to the Idly/Dosa Batter with the fermentation process. This is one of my favorite childhood recipe and we serve it with Elachi Flavored Sweetened Coconut Milk for breakfast and mostly it falls on Sunday Breakfast menu. Just a couple of Appam with coconut milk will make your tummy heavy and feel drowsy. And that is the reason, we serve it on Sundays ;)
- 1 Cup Raw Rice
- 1 Cup Boiled Rice
- 1 Tbsp Urad dal
- 1 Tsp Methi / Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp Rock Salt
- Add Raw rice, Boiled Rice, Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds in a big bowl.
- Wash it twice and add water to the rice.
- Soak it for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind into fine paste in a grinder ( Can also be grind in mixie ).
- Add rock salt to the ground batter and mix well.
- Leave it to ferment for 6 - 7 hours or over night.
- After fermentation, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat Appam pan (non stick or Iron) and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour 11/2 - 2 ladles of batter and rotate the pan in a circular motion so that the thin layer forms on the sides of appam and thick in the center.
- Close the pan and cook in a simmer flame.
- Once the middle part is cooked, remove from the flame and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Coconut Milk, Stew (Veg or non veg), Kadalai curry or Kurma.
Linking this recipe with Gayathri's "WTML"