Royyalu Gongura is a very famous Telugu recipe which is prepared with prawns and Gongura. Gongura is called sorrel leaves in English which has a tangy flavor by itself. It is called as pulichakeerai in tamil and this green leaf goes well with all non veg dishes. Prawns has a mild sweet taste and when it gets cooked with this tangy leaves along with spices, it gives a lip smacking delicious recipe. This is one of my favorite recipe which I had Bookmarked some 7 years back in a diary from cookery show. I don't even remember the show but its from some telugu channel :) Reading our old recipe books and trying the bookmarked recipes gives a great feeling and it also brings back all our nostalgic memories.
Cooking prawns is also an art in which time plays an important role. More cooking time leads to rubbery texture and the less time gives raw flavor. It is always better to add prawns at the last stage of cooking and cook it for 4-5 minutes to get its perfect juicy taste and flavor.
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1 Tsp Urad dal
- 1 Tbsp Channa dal
- 2 Dry Red chillies
- A pinch of Hing
- 6-7 Garlic pods
- 1 inch ginger, cut into strips
- 500 gms Prawn
- 200 gms Onion, sliced
- 4 Green chillies, sliced lengthwise or slitted
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Bunch Gongura leaves / Sorrel leaves (approx. 2-3 Cups chopped leaves)
- Handful of fresh Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Clean prawns, de-vein and keep aside. ( I used along with tail but it can also be discarded)
- Heat oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds.
- Once it starts spluttering, add Jeera followed by urad dal, channa dal, dry red chillies and a pinch of Hing.
- Add garlic pods and ginger strips.. Saute for a minute in a medium flame.
- Add the sliced onions and green chillies. Saute till the color of onions changes.
- Now add Turmeric powder followed by Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Garam Masala and Salt.
- Mix well and add the chopped Gongura leaves.
- Cook for couple of minutes and add the cleaned prawns.
- Add little water ( 2-3 Tbsp ) and mix well. Adjust salt at this stage.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and switch of the flame.
- Garnish with Curry leaves and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve with hot rice.