I am going crazy over Biryani recipes and nowadays, it has become our King of Menu in my kitchen, especially on Sundays. Though the pain of cleaning prawns is little tough, the delicious taste of it after cooking will let down all the pain. The mild sweetness of the prawns and the spiciness in the masala blends so well in the rice and gives an Aromatic flavor. Prawns can also be fried before adding it to the biryani or it can also be added without boiling and frying. This is a flavorsome meal which can be served with Onion Raita or Brinjal Curry.
500 gms Prawns
For Rice :
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice ( 400 gms)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Elachi
- 1 Star anise
- 1/2 Inch Cinnamon stick
For Prawn Masala :
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Elachi
- 2 Star anise
- 1 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 250 gms Onions, sliced
- 150-200 gms Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 Green chillies, slitted
- 1/2 Cup Mint leaves and Coriander leaves, chopped
- 4-5 Tbsp Oil
- 1- 11/2 Inch Ginger Piece
- 10-15 Garlic pods
- 2 Tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 11/2 Tsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Remove the shell, devein and wash the prawns. Keep aside.
- Boil 4 Cups of water and add Bay leaf followed by Elachi and Star anise.
- Once it starts boiling, add the rice and cook till it is half cooked / par boiled.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, add prawns in a pan and add a pinch of turmeric powder and little water.
- Boil it for a minute and drain the water. keep aside.
- Take ginger, garlic, handful of sliced onions and tomatoes and grind into a fine paste. keep aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and add bay leaf followed by cinnamon, star anise and Elachi.
- Add half the cup of mint and coriander leaves along with green chillies.
- Saute for half a minute and add the ground (ginger + garlic + onion + tomato ) paste.
- Mix well and fry it for couple of minutes or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
- Add the sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Cook it for couple of minutes and add Turmeric powder followed by red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix well, add the prawns and cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Now add the par boiled rice and mix slowly.
- Spread the remaining Mint- Coriander leaves and cover the pan with Aluminum foil.
- Heat Ironware Tawa and keep the biryani pan on top of it.
- Simmer the flame and place a big plate on top of the pan (above aluminum foil).
- Now place a big vessel filled with water on top of the plate so that the steam will not escape.
- Cook it for 20-25 minutes or till the steam escapes from the pan.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve hot with Raita , Brinjal Curry or with any non veg side dish.