How many of you remember this tangy fruit ?
These cute berries brings all our nostalgic memories of an old lady sitting in front of school selling kalakai/cranberry, mango pieces and elandha pazham/Indian plum/Indian Jujube with a bowl of salt and red chilly powder. It was a real fun to walk along with friends in the lunch time to buy few berries from our piggy bank money and teasing our friends on their reactions while tasting these tangy berries are the most precious memories which we never get it back.
I did not knew that these tangy ones are called cranberry and now it has become an expensive fruit and available only in super markets. It is called as Koronda in hindi and wakay in telugu. Mostly, these berries are available in the month of July and August.That is not all, it has lots of healthy benefits too. This is very good for Urinary Tract Infections and has rich source of Iron and Vitamin C.
Cranberry / Kalakai Rice is a tangy and healthy rice which is perfect for lunch box menu. Spicy foods like potato fry, pickles etc serves as a perfect side dish for this rice.
Prepare this easy and healthy rice and relish your childhood memories !
- 1 Cup, Cooked Rice
- 20 Cranberry / Kalaakai, grated
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 Tbsp Channa Dal
- 2 Fresh red Chilies, chopped ( or Green chilies)
- Salt to taste
- Few curry leaves
- Grate all the berries and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once its starts spluttering, add urad dal followed by channa dal.
- Add curry leaves and fresh red chilies, saute well.
- Now add the grated berries and salt, mix well.
- Cook for a minute and switch of the flame.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Serving Options :
Serve with Potato fry, pickles or with any spicy side dish.
Sending this recipe to "100 Kids Lunch Box Recipe Book" Event !