Bitter gourd / Pavakai, which is also called Bitter melon is a very famous veggie for diabetics to reduce sugar level. Though it has a bitter taste, lots of delicious recipes can be prepared like Pavakai kuzhambu, Pavakai chips, pavakai varuval.... Bitterness can be reduced by adding Tamarind juice while cooking.This roast is my brother's favorite recipe and as I am celebrating Raksha Bandan for a week with his favorite foods,posting it today. This spicy roast can be served with sambhar rice, rice rasam and curd rice. Personally,I love this with sambhar rice.
- 2 Long Bitter gourd, cut into round shape
- 1 Tbsp Kuzhambu Milagai Thool ( Chilli powder + Coriander powder)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 Tsp Tamarind Juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Water
- Heat a pan and add bitter gourd.
- Add kuzhambu Milagai powder followed by Turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 1/4- 1/2 cup water and Tamarind Juice. Mix and close the lid.
- Cook it for 5-7 minutes in a simmer flame (water should not be there).
- Remove from the pan and place it in a hot tawa.
- Roast them by smearing oil in a low flame.
- Roast both the sides and remove from the flame. serve.
Serving Options :
Serve with sambhar rice, curd rice or Rasam rice.
Linking this recipe with Gayathri's "WTML"